Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)

 All international students (i.e., anyone who is from outside of the European Economic Area) requiring a Tier 4 visa to study in the UK needs a valid Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number to make a Tier 4 visa application.

A CAS is a virtual document which confirms that an institution is willing to act as your educational sponsor. With the CAS on your Tier 4 visa application form, the Home Office UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI) caseworker who considers your visa application will have access to a database which contains your personal details, details of your proposed course of study, and details of any fees you have paid to the University.

Who assigns your CAS?

If you are going to start a new course of study at the University (or, if you started your new course of study within the last six months), your Admissions team will be responsible for providing you with a CAS (the CAS Assignment process usually starts about 3-4 months before your course start date, if you have accepted an unconditional offer then). Once you receive your CAS, you can submit your Tier 4 visa application within 3 months ahead of your course start date (for example, if your course starts on 1 October, the earliest time you can submit your Tier 4 visa application is 1 July). You are advised to apply as early as possible within this time frame, allowing sufficient time for your application to be processed.

If you are a current student and started your course more than six months ago, the Immigration Service Team will be responsible for providing you with a CAS.

What makes a CAS valid?

In order for your CAS to be valid it must:

  • Have the same details on it as in your passport; and
  • Have been assigned no more than six months before the date of your visa application; and
  • Not have been withdrawn or cancelled by the Tier 4 sponsor or the Home Office
  • Not have been used in a Tier 4 visa application which was processed and refused (where the fee was processed)

Having a CAS does not mean that you are guaranteed your application will be successful. You must meet all the requirements of a Tier 4 application, including completing the Tier 4 application form correctly and submitting all the required supporting documents.

You should also ensure that your course information (course title, start and end dates etc.) that appears on your CAS is copied exactly onto your application form.

Detailed information can be found below on how to apply for your CAS.

CAS for PEPS Students CAS request following visa refusal
CAS for Continuing Students(UK) CAS for Continuing Students(Overseas)
Posted on: 7th April 2016, by : ICS Legal