CAS Request for Continuing Students

CAS Request for Continuing Students prior to attending an appointment with an Adviser, for a Tier 4 application made in the UK

If you have been at university for more than 6 months and have made an appointment to meet with an International Student Adviser in the Immigration Service to have your application checked. Please respond to any emails you receive after the appointment to ensure your CAS is generated in time ahead of your submission appointment. Please note that you will only receive your CAS once the Adviser has seen your completed application form and ALL supporting documents, including your finances, and is satisfied that these meet Home Office requirements. You should be aware that we will not assign a CAS to students who do not have valid leave to remain in the UK (you are an overstayer) and we will withdraw a CAS if we later learn that a student is or has become an overstayer.

Please note that if you have enrolled on your current course for more than 6 months and will require an ATAS certificate for your visa application. Please also state clearly in the email that you are a current student, and provide your name, Warwick I.D. number and the course you are enrolled on.Please note that if you are aware that you are in debt with the University (i.e., having course fees overdue), we will not be able to assign a CAS. Please get in touch with Student Finance team to discuss your situation and arrange payment.
Posted on: 7th April 2016, by : ICS Legal