Layovers and transiting through a UK airport

1:Entering the UK 2:Arrivals from EU countries
3:Baggage checks 4:Layovers and transiting through a UK airport

Passing through a UK airport while on the way to another country is called ‘transiting’. Some travellers call it a ‘layover’.

There are 2 types of transiting:

  • ‘airside’ – you don’t pass through UK border control before you leave on your connecting journey
  • ‘landside’ – you do pass through UK border control, but come back through it and leave the UK within a short amount of time (usually 24 hours)

Find out if you need a UK visa for your layover.

Posted on: 13th December 2016, by : ICS Legal