Apply for a certificate of entitlement

1: Overview 2: Commonwealth citizens
3: Apply for a certificate of entitlement

You can apply for a certificate of entitlement to prove you have right of abode in the UK. It goes in your passport.

You need to apply for a new certificate when your passport expires.

How you apply for a certificate of entitlement depends on whether you’re inside or outside the UK.

You can’t get a certificate if you already have a British passport or a valid certificate of entitlement in another foreign passport.

Apply in the UK

Use form ROA and send it to UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI). Read the guidance before you apply.

You must also include supporting documents with your application.

Department 1
The Capital
New Hall Place
L3 9PP

A certificate of entitlement costs £272 in the UK.

You’ll get a decision within 6 months from when you’ve sent your completed application and supporting documents.

Supporting documents

You’ll need to send:

  • your valid passport or travel document – if it wasn’t issued in the UK it must have immigration stamps to show you’re living here, or you must have a previous right of abode certificate
  • 2 passport-size photos of you taken in the last 6 months
  • documents proving you have right of abode – read the guide to find out which ones you need

You must send original documents, not photocopies. If you don’t send the birth certificate or marriage certificate issued when you were born or got married, you need to explain why.

Returning your documents

Include a pre-paid self-addressed Royal Mail special delivery or recorded delivery envelope of the right size, otherwise your documents will be returned by 2nd class post.

Contact the nationality contact centre if you need your documents back urgently. Do not contact it to check the progress of your application.

Nationality contact centre

Apply from outside the UK

You must apply online using the ‘Apply for a UK visa’ service.

A certificate of entitlement costs £472 outside the UK.

If you’re from North Korea

You must apply by post using form VAF7.

Read the guidance notes before filling in the form.

You must send the correct supporting documents with your application.

If your application is refused

Your application fee won’t be refunded if your application is refused because you don’t qualify for right of abode or you don’t send in enough evidence to support your claim.


You’ll be told how you can appeal if your application is rejected.

You won’t have a right of appeal if your rejected application was received on or after 6 April 2015.

You can apply to have your application reconsidered if you think UKVI didn’t make the decision in line with the law or their policy.

Posted on: 12th December 2016, by : ICS Legal