Getting vehicle approval -Mutual Recognition

1:How to import a vehicle 2:Telling HMRC
3:Paying VAT and duty 4:Getting vehicle approval
5:Registering an imported vehicle 6:Temporary imports

Get vehicle approval to show that your imported vehicle meets environmental and safety regulations. You’ll need proof of approval to register the vehicle.

You might not need approval for a vehicle that was first registered or manufactured more than 10 years ago – check the exemptions.

If the vehicle’s not registered in the EU

To get approval for a vehicle that’s not registered in the EU, apply for either:

  • Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA)
  • Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval (MSVA) if it’s a 2, 3 or smaller 4-wheeled vehicle

If the vehicle’s registered in the EU

Get a European Certificate of Conformity from the manufacturer to show you have approval for an EU-registered vehicle.

You also have to get a certificate of Mutual Recognition if it’s a left hand drive vehicle.

Getting a certificate of Mutual Recognition

Use the application form for your:

  • motorcycle
  • car
  • van or light goods vehicle
  • motorhome

Apply for IVA instead for a lorry or goods vehicle over 3,500kg.

There’s a £100 fee. Send your application to the address on the form. Attach receipts to prove you’ve made any required alterations, eg fitting a speedometer to display miles per hour.

Get help with Mutual Recognition

Contact the Vehicle Certification Agency (VCA) if you’re unsure whether your vehicle qualifies for Mutual Recognition.

Vehicle Certification Agency (VCA)
Telephone: 0300 330 5797
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm

Call us today on 0207 237 3388 or complete our visa assessment form, by clicking here

Posted on: 13th December 2016, by : ICS Legal